The Julia E. Work Training School opened in 1891 as the Northern Indiana Orphan’s Home at LaPorte, Indiana. The facility moved in 1899 to Plymouth, Marshall County, Indiana. It was renamed the Julia E. Work Training School. Unlike the La Porte facility, which cared for dependent children, the new facility was organized primarily for the care and training of crippled, delinquent and incorrigible children. Most were sent by juvenile courts. The home was also frequently referred to as “Brightside.” The last admission in the school’s “Register of Entrants” is May 12, 1938. The facility closed the same year.
Volume One: “Register of Inmates of the Northern Indiana Orphans’ Home,” contains the names of children admitted between March 7, 1891 and November 10, 1928. This volume was used at both the La Porte and Plymouth facilities.
Volume Two: “Register of Entrants to the Julie E. Work Training School,” contains the names of children admitted between November 9, 1928 and May 12, 1938.
Both volumes may contain the child’s age, the names of parents, and to whom the child was released. Patrons may request microfilmed copies by contacting the Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also check the Foster Children database as many of these children spent time in Indiana’s foster care system between 1892 and 1910. For more information visit http://www.in.gov/icpr/3017.htm