The United Spanish War Veterans was created in 1904 by the merger of three smaller groups of Spanish-American War veterans. The Indiana Department was created the same year. At its peak there were over ninety camps (posts) in towns across Indiana. The USWV national headquarters closed in 1998. Records of the Indiana Department are housed at the Indiana State Archives.
Membership files for the Indiana Department of the USWV are organized alphabetically by veterans’ names. Typical files contain applications, membership information, pension correspondence, and death notices (TAPS). Information on spouses and widows can be found in many files.