An index to juvenile female offenders committed to Indiana’s state correctional system beginning September 12, 1873. Originally housed with adult female inmates at the “Reform School for Girls and Women’s Prison” in Indianapolis, a separate institution for girls was created in 1899 and known as the “Indiana Industrial School for Girls.” The facility was renamed the Indiana Girls’ School in 1907 and moved to a new campus at Clermont in Marion County.
The index of admissions shown here is complete through 1935. Names of juvenile females admitted between 1936 and 1984 are not online for reasons of confidentiality. Researchers will need to contact the Indiana State Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if a record exists for girls admitted after 1935.
Information shown here includes the girl’s name, age, the county from which she was committed, and date of admission. A date of discharge and other information may be shown. There is additional information available on many of the inmates at the Indiana State Archives, including commitment papers, inmate packets, personal letters, and other paperwork. There are photographs of many of the early inmates.